This position operates with the advice and consent of the Executive Director and accepts guidance and assistance from the ReStore Committee, members of which are selected by the ReStore Manager or Executive Director. This position is responsible for managing all phases of the ReStore mission, program, staffing and facility(s). The Habitat ReStore mission is to generate revenue through the sale of donated, reclaimed and purchased building materials, appliances, furniture, tools, and household furnishings to support the activities of Northwest Michigan Habitat for Humanity in building safe and affordable homes for families in need in Charlevoix and Emmet Counties. The ReStore Manager is responsible for the overall operations and financial growth of all Affiliate based ReStore(s).
The ReStore Mission is to generate revenue through the sale of donated building materials and household items, thereby providing support for both the operating budget and the HFH mission to build safe and affordable housing for people in need. Through its efforts, the ReStore facilitates recycling, minimizes waste, provides low-cost home improvement items and increases Habitat's visibility in our community. All employees are expected to be engaged in the mission while on the job. In their everyday life, employees are requested to demonstrate a positive, ethical reflection of the HFH mission.
Education and Experience:
A minimum of 5 years of related experience, and 3+ years overseeing operations in a management role having been held independently responsibility for program management and accomplishing results by building and leading successful teams. Experience supervising staff required, developing markets and networking plans. Excellent interpersonal and communications skills with groups, committees and individuals.
A Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in business, management, finance or related field is preferred.
Must be self-motivated, collaborative, reliable and enthusiastic. Must be willing to lead by example. Must possess excellent communication and conflict resolution skills, and the ability to handle and defuse challenging situations with tact. Must be committed to maintaining a safe working environment. Must have the ability to provide transformational leadership and supervision to staff and volunteers while also having the ability to perform most tasks in the absence of staff or volunteers. Computer knowledgeable is a must, including Microsoft Word & Excel (PowerPoint a plus), QuickBooks, POS software (Clover), etc., and must have the willingness and ability to learn programs as needed. Must be able to operative standard office equipment such as copies, fax machines, etc.
- Fund Raising and Fostering Support with Partners in the Community
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Operations Manager, develop and implement multi-year strategic plans for soliciting contributions and winning support of potential suppliers and donors by targeting annual growth to meet long-term financial projections.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Operations Manager, develop and manage the store budget and support the budget and operational decisions with documented financial analysis to include: profit margins, sales per square foot in total, last year to current year sales comparisons, cost per donation pickup, ROI of marketing expenses to sales, expenses as a percentage of sales, break-even analysis, and inventory management.
- Identify additional opportunities for fund raising and coordinate with the ReStore Committee and Executive Director’s fund raising plan.
- Ensure the Executive Director is regularly informed on the status of Habitat ReStore with particular attention paid to problem areas, project status and extraordinary events
- Draft brochures and other materials describing the advantages of ReStore contributions.
- Represent the program with potential materials donors.
- Identify and initiate opportunities to reduce expenses and create increased operational efficiencies.
- Provides sustained network development to expand the scope of Habitat ReStore activities and develop long-term, collaborative relationships with community based trade/business groups, churches, donors and others to secure donations and raise awareness of local affiliate mission in the community.
- Develop and Implement Policies and Procedures
- Identify policies that need to be drafted and recommend modifications to existing policies.
- Provide reports on store performance or strategic projections as needed. These reports could include inventory turnover, discounts, and returns, earnings per store per open hour, earnings paid per employee hour and net cash to organization forecasting.
- Oversee the development of necessary policies and procedures for store operations, sales, salvage, material acquisition, etc.
- Identify potential conflicts between ReStore and other Affiliate programs.
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures relating to the daily operation of the ReStore.
- Responsible for operations management, including consistent, safe and positive development of associates and assets in order to provide a high quality donor to customer experience.
- Manage ReStore Operations
- Oversee and ensure consistent, smooth and efficient retail operations.
- Responsible for driving donations, sales and profits of the ReStore to further the Affiliate’s mission and working with various internal and external resources to positively promote the store & Affiliate.
- Develop a strong second in command to oversee day-to-day operations in the Manager’s absence.
- Supervise maintenance of facility and equipment.
- Supervise ReStore staff, volunteers and conduct performance reviews.
- Responsible for the volunteer recruitment, training and appreciation.
- Management of retail staff and volunteers to provide a high level of customer service.
- Orient staff and volunteers to the mission of HFH and the ReStore’s role and responsibility.
- Ensure adequate training is provided to staff and volunteers.
- Spend weekly time on the sales floor, as able.
- Monitor expenses within budgeting constraints
- Enhance the organization’s culture by reinforcing core values and fostering a positive work environment.
- Maintain Employee hourly work records and employment files in conjunction with Executive Director and conduct annual employee reviews with mid-year checkpoints.
- Hold monthly ReStore Employee Meetings for the divestiture of information (top-down), the cultivation of staff and communication of strategic planning initiatives,
- Marketing and Community Relations
- Market the ReStore through the media in an appropriate and cost-conscious manner.
- Represent program through personal contacts and public speaking engagements.
- Network with other Habitat ReStores.
- Develop and maintain an ongoing relationship with corporate donors, contractors, and community service organizations for gifts in kind.
- Coordinate the development and expansion of a comprehensive advertising and marketing program for the Habitat ReStore.
- Raise the profile of the Habitat ReStore in the community.
- Coordinate marketing efforts with office staff.
- Oversee preparation of monthly financial reports for Executive Director & Board of Directors.
- Develop work plans and assignments to meet commitments made to various agencies.
- Prepare program/progress reports on a timely basis.
- Prepare monthly general reports and financial expenditure reports.
- Respond to audits and funding agencies.
- Prepare annual budget for the Habitat ReStore
- Must understand and appreciate the philosophy and mission of Northwest Michigan Habitat for Humanity.
- Qualified candidates must possess above-average written and verbal communication skills.
- Public speaking experience is required.
- Must possess strong problem-solving skills, the ability to work in a fast-paced team environment, and the ability to multi-task.
- Must be detail-oriented and able to work independently.
- Must be able to deal with all kinds of individuals and remain consistent in keeping a professional demeanor.
- Must have experience working with major donors and be able to communicate effectively and professionally with them and the customers we serve.
- Occasional travel is required.
- Must be able to assist staff in performing store functions and, therefore, must be able to lift up to 50 pounds. Will also experience frequent bending, squatting, lifting and repetitive motion.
- Ability to work the computer for an extended period of time.
- Valid driver’s License with a good driving record and ability to obtain a Chauffeur’s License and operate a box truck.
To Apply: please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with “ReStore Manager” in the the title. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.