Design Engineer, Designer or CAD Operator
We are looking for an energetic, enthusiastic and hard working design engineer, designer or CAD operator to be a long term addition to our team helping to build the world’s finest wooden boats. This person will be responsible for designing components and solutions for the boats we build, producing shop floor drawings for the entire boat build, basic engineering of components and generally supporting the build team in getting what they need in order to be successful. It is critical that this person is a good listener, embodies our cultural fundamentals and wants to work as a team to create unique solutions to the daily challenge of custom wooden boat building. Being highly proficient with 3D design software (preferably Rhino and Solidworks) is a requirement, as is a 4 year degree in a design or engineering field (or equivalent experience). Boating experience, boat building experience, electrical and mechanical systems experience and the ability to sketch concepts is desirable.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Producing shop floor construction drawings from a Naval Architects 3D files.
- This includes generating scantling details, construction drawings, typical sections, general arrangement drawings, mechanical layout drawings, etc.
- This includes detailing component drawings for manufacture in our machine shop.
- Supporting the shop team in the construction of the boats by getting them requested dimensions, showing them 3D models, getting answers to questions and occasionally acting as liaison with a naval architecture office or other design firm.
- Designing components for the boats we build and taking them from a napkin sketch through 3D modeling and finishing at shop level construction drawings.
- Creating concepts for customer approval
- Creating 3D files in preparation for CNC cutting in our machine shop.
- Basic engineering of components
- Estimating need design time, tracking actual time and honoring a schedule
- Electrical and systems drawing production and possible design if capable
- Keeping an organized system for all design documents for each project
Requirements and Qualifications
- Highly proficient with 3D design software
- Preferred software is Rhino
- Solidworks experience is desirable
- 4 year college degree in a design or engineering field or equivalent experience
- 4 or more years working in a design or engineering role
- Mechanical aptitude and interest
- Great listening skills
- Optimism, energy and enthusiasm
- Able to think through complex and difficult challenges and create solutions
- Excellent critical thinking skills
- Highly organized
- Ability to perform work to a high level of accuracy
- Ability to use sketching as an effective communication tool
- Must work hard to embody the fundamentals Click here to learn what they are
- Boating experience is desirable
- Boat systems understanding and experience is desirable
- Boat building experience is desirable.
This opportunity is offered as a full time, year ‘round position. Please respond on our website at https://www.vandamboats.com/careers/ with a complete resume including references, and compensation requirements.
Compensation pkg will be based on experience and the value you can offer.
We provide insurance, paid time off, a 401K program and profit sharing.
The Van Dam Community of businesses includes a custom boat building business, a marine storage and service business, a yacht brokerage, and a land holding company. We are an organization that is focused on the success of our teams and on promoting a culture that leads to the involvement and success of all our team members. If you enjoy being around motivated and sincere people and have a positive outlook on life, send us your information.